Impromptu trip to Penang! (Part 2)


Welcome back to Part 2 of my Penang trip! :) 

So the first stop we went to for breakfast/lunch/brunch was Ah Lai Kopitiam. According to a friend of mine, they have 'instagrammable' food.... but maybe I just have really bad photo taking skills. Oh and by the way, the hotel I stayed at offers breakfast but it was really not my cup of tea (they served hot cakes, toast w/ butter/jam/marmalade, fried maggie mee, fried vegetables, fish fingers, baked beans, eggs and hot beverages). 

Curry-flavoured Maggie Mee w/ Cheese.

I did not try this dish because I'm not one who can handle spicy food but I was told it was just like your average bowl of instant noodles. 

Toast w/ Kaya & Butter ; Toast w/ Half-boiled Eggs. 

I had this for breakfast instead! Nothing special though, but the yolk of the half-boiled egg was almost fully cooked although it was supposed to be runny. 

While we were eating, there was a man who I think was a little crazy(?) because he suddenly stood outside the coffee shop and shouted in a foreign language and it seems like he was talking to himself. It was really an unpleasant experience because I really did not feel comfortable as he was standing right next to my table. However, if this ever happens to you, just ignore him & mind your own business, he will walk away after a while. 


Foamed(?) Coffee. 

I cannot remember what the name of this coffee was on the menu but my friends told me it was really good but too sweet for their usual taste. If you're not a fan of sweetened coffee, do remember to tell them to go light-handed on the sugar syrup! 

After we ate, we went to walk around the places nearby & stumbled upon an ice-kacang shop!



I know that there's a sign there that clearly states "Do not touch" but a local that happened to be standing outside the shop told me that I was allowed to hold the spoon to take pictures! 

This was the original photo before I was told that I could hold the spoon :)

After more walking, we finally reached the cafe that our friend wanted to show us. 

It's called "Sekeping Victoria".


Take a look at how beautiful this place is! 



I did not order anything because I was super full from the toast I had earlier on but I heard the coffee's good! I went to walk around the streets of Penang while my 2 other friends stayed to do their assignment.... Thankfully all the tourist spots were right around the corner! 



P/S: You may have to queue to take this picture & the queue can get really long especially with inconsiderate people that keep cutting the queue and pretending that they're not aware of what they're doing!! 





CAUTION : DO NOT LEAN ON THE PAINTED DOORS BECAUSE IT WILL OPEN! 

If you don't believe me, here's what happened..... 




The beautiful thing about Penang is that there are many many street murals that are really pretty! E.g. this cat I stumbled upon outside the Owl Shop! :) 

Another cat.. 

That was the last picture I took w/ the street murals because it was getting really really hot (it was around 12-1pm) so we walked back to the cafe to meet the rest. :)

I cannot remember exactly where we went and what happened but we stumbled upon this shop that sold "Hot Puthu"! They're Indian-style rice cupcakes (made w/ rice flour) served with gula apong (palm sugar) and desiccated coconut!  The stall is located within Hock Poh Lye Cafe, at the junction of Penang Street and China Street according to online sources. It operates daily from 5:00pm onwards



I really loved it & it was served steaming hot! Remember to grab a little bit of everything & eat them together! :) 


One of the shops we stumbled upon while walking around. It's a shop that sells rugs made out of animal skin. I didn't dare to enter because it just felt so terrible as if I was walking into a room of dead animals. Oh the guilt! 


*Do take off your shoes before entering this place. 

Chendol.

We had chendol at a place that claimed to be the most famous chendol stall in Penang w/ pictures of famous people like Jimmy Choo with the owner of the stall. Chendol is a sweet dessert w/ coconut milk, worm-like pandan flavoured jelly, red kidney beans, shaved ice and also sweet palm sugar! 


Fried Oyster.

We went home to get some rest before heading out for dinner!  

Koay Tiaw T'ng.

This dish is basically noodles and soup along with duck meat, chicken, fishcakes, vegetables and some other spare parts (pork blood cubes, liver etc). 

The food in Penang is almost the same everywhere with the common foods being char koay tiaw, koay tiaw t'ng, fried oyster, chendol and hokkien mee. 

After dinner, we headed home, rest, shower and got changed and headed out to night clubs around Penang. The initial plan was to go to the newly-opened club in Penang which was Ozoo, but it was so packed & the only tables left were away from the crowd and just really alienated from where the party was at so we decided to leave. We went to several clubs/bars before finally settling down at one which was VAC & that's how we ended our last night in Penang. :)

Thanks for reading & hope you enjoyed!

xx 


Details on the place(s) I went in Day 2! :

Ah Lai Kopitiam

Address: 15, Lebuh Gereja, George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia. 

Operating Hours: Monday-Saturday [9am to 3pm] ;  Sunday [7am to 1pm]

Contact No. : +60 16-477 1332



Sekeping Victoria

Address: 164A-B, Lebuh Victoria, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.

Operating Hours: Monday-Sunday [9am to 9pm] *closed on alternate Tuesdays

Contact No.: +6 017-207 5977 (Ms Carmen)

Website:  http://www.sekeping.com/victoria/home.html



Penang Road Famous Teochew Chendol 

Address: 27 & 29, Lebuh Keng Kwee, 10100 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia. 

Operating Hours: Monday-Friday [10:30am to 7pm] ;  Saturday & Sunday [10am to 7:30pm]


Contact No. : +6 04 - 262 6002


VAC (Visit And Cheers) Club


Address: 4, Beach Street, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.

Operating Hours: Monday-Friday [5pm to 2:45am] Saturday & Sunday [9pm to 2:45am]

Contact No.: +6 011-3604 9888 

Website: https://www.facebook.com/visitandcheers/


Share:

0 comments